Header Image for Selborne Village Hall


How big is the hall (in meters)?    
Answer:  17M x 6M

How many people can be comfortably sat in the hall (eg meeting)?
Answer:  100 seated for Panto eg. With stage

How many people can be comfortably sat in the hall for a meal?
Answer:  Licence is for 118, but 90 comfortably

What is the maximum number of people – not necessarily sitting (insurance)?
Answer:  Licence is for 200 – but that is a little tight

How big is the modular stage?
Answer:  15 square metres (modules of 1 square metre) link in any formation, separate step unit attaches. Separate cost if erected/dismantled by committee

Is there a `finish’ time?
Answer:  Midnight – plus some quiet time for clearing up.

Can a band be accommodated?
Answer:  Yes, but we ask for consideration to local residents (more so if windows and doors are opened.

Is there a licence for selling alcohol?
Answer:  The Hall has it’s own licence to sell alcohol. For this facility, the Committee would need informing and you would need to confirm in writing that you have read and understood the licensing information you will be provided with in order to comply with the law. However, any hirer can pay (currently £21) and get their own licence, called a Temporary Event Notice (TEN) from East Hampshire District Council (EHDC).  

What if the alcohol was not `sold’ but free?
Answer:  The hall is a licensed premises, not a private dwelling, therefore alcohol may not be provided to under 18s even if you are giving it away.  If the committee has any worries about the event they may request that you obtain a TEN in your own name from East Hampshire District Council.

What happens about breakages (glass, crockery)?
Answer:  Each hirer is asked to complete a simple `Exit Check-List’, there is a space on that form to report damage. The Hall may make a charge to cover replacement items.

Why is a breakage deposit required?
Answer:  The Breakage Deposit is to cover Breakage or Damage caused by the hirer. It may also be required to cover any cost of cleaning, not carried out by the hirer.

Do the windows open?
Answer:  Yes, there is a window key, and hirer’s are asked to shut AND lock the windows when exiting.

Who do I contact, in case of an emergency during the booking?
Answer:  An invoice / booking agreement is sent to the hirer, on the front page, there will be a name & telephone number for use in an emergency.

What about the rubbish I generate (bottles etc)?
Answer:  Whilst there is a bin in the kitchen and toilets for minor items, hirers are asked to arrange removal of all waste, including empty bottles and cans, and dispose of appropriately.

Can I show a film?
Answer:  No problem with slides and films personally recorded. Films, as in mainstream DVD’s require a Licence - hires are asked to check with committee to see if a current licence is in force.

Can we have MP3 music?
Answer:  Yes, the hall carries a full PRS/PPL Performing Rights Licence.  However, you will need to provide your own system and speakers.

How does the stage lighting work?
Answer:  Hirers not familiar with stage lighting controls should be advised by the Hall’s Audio/Visual Manager (see contact list).

How `clean and tidy’ do I leave the hall after use?
Answer:  At least as TIDY as found please with all equipment you have used left clean and where you found it.